Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Taxpayer funded research woes


Sullenberger, Diane <DSullenb@nas.edu>
6/25/10

to me

Dear John Hewitt,

Thank you for your email to the journal. PNAS is a self-sustaining operation of the National Academy of Sciences and the journal operates on a breakeven basis, receiving no direct funds from the Academy or from the government. PNAS relies on two main sources of funding, author charges and subscriptions.

All of our articles dating back to 1915 are free online after 6 months, 27% are immediately free under our open access option, and all articles are immediately free to more than 140 developing countries.

We hope this clarifies our operations.

Regards,
Diane Sullenberger
Executive Editor


-----Original Message-----
(Highly didacted)
From: john hewitt [mailto:john@hewitt123.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:44 PM
To: pnas-feedback@highwire.stanford.edu
Subject: my tax money (PNAS Feedback Form)



Comments sent via PNAS Feedback Page
------------------------------------------------------------
  NAME: john hewitt
  EMAIL:  john@hewitt123.com
  PROMOTIONAL USE:  Granted
  
------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENTS:
I bust my ___ every day and pay my taxes. You take that tax money and fund research. Great, but that is my research and frankly, I would like to see it. I demand access to the work I fund. Your magazine has the ___ to charge researchers who use my money to pay you to publish their research, and you then try to extort from me further money to see that research. Enough, that model is done. We won't except it anymore. Show me the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment